SELECT-A BASE™ Lighting Base Selector
Our SELECT-A BASE™ lighting base program can help you match the correct Lighting Base for different soils, wind loads, overturning moment and vertical loading. The software is free and easy to use on-line.
To start, just click on the NEW Base Calculation button below.
Our selection of Lighting Bases are products of more than 90 years of research, development and testing of earth anchor systems. Use of our Instant Foundation® System can save you time and money through one trip convenience without concrete and its delays for excavation, delivery and curing.
Instant Foundation® System benefits
- Fast installation.
- No vibration.
- Ease of installation in limited access areas.
- Minimum disturbance to site.
- No excavation required.
- All steel foundation.
- Immediate structure installation.
- Ready for immediate wiring.
- All weather installation.
- On-site load test capability.
General Program Assumptions
- Clay Soil is taken to be a cohesive material with a cohesion value (Cu) of 1.0 ksf.
- Sand Soil is taken to be a non-cohesive soil with an angle of internal friction of 30 degrees and an effective unit weight of 100 lbs/cu ft.
- The water table location is taken to be well below the bottom of the foundation such that it does not impact the strength of the clay soil or the effective unit weight of the sand soil.
- The program does not nor is it intended to perform a structural check of the pole arm or base plate. It is assumed that those checks have been addressed by others. The input of pole data is for no reason other than to calculate a sail area for the wind to effect and thus provide estimated shear and moment loads that the foundation must resist.
Lighting Foundation Selection Software
DISCLAIMER: Written for and distributed by the Chance Division of Hubbell Power Systems, Inc. this SELECT-A BASE™ Lighting Foundation Selection Software reflects the Chance Division of Hubbell Power Systems, Inc. philosophies on light pole foundation design. These philosophies may not be valid when results are applied to lighting foundations configured and manufactured by other companies. The program results are applicable only to CHANCE® Civil Construction light foundation material and reliance on CHANCE® manufactured spacing, dimensions, thicknesses, tolerances and strengths is required for the results to be valid. The lighting foundation design theories, methods, capacity design software, and lighting foundation materials comprise an integral design system which should not be altered. Corruption of this system by use of other design techniques or anchor/pile material produced by others may result in unreliable results. The inherent variability of soil can lead to variability in lighting foundation performance. The reliability of this or any theoretical method of predicting lighting foundation capacity in soil is dependent upon the quality and reliability of the soil data and the interpretation of that data by the design professional. Responsibility for selection of the proper lighting foundation size, installed depth, and shaft diameter rests solely with the design professional.
The information presented and algorithms used in SELECT-A BASE™ Lighting Foundation Selection Software are derived from generally accepted engineering practices. The software is based on the 2001 4th Edition of the Standard Specifications for Structural Support for Highway Signs, Luminaires and Traffic Signals published by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. Project specific application documents must be prepared by a structural/geotechnical engineer familiar with soil and structure requirements in the project location. The possible effects of soil (including such effects such as expansion, liquefaction and frost heave) are beyond the scope of this software and must be evaluated by the engineer of record. Hubbell Power Systems, Inc. assumes no responsibility in the performance of lighting foundation beyond that stated in our SCS policy sheet on terms and conditions of sale.
Because Hubbell has a policy of continuous product improvement, we reserve the right to change design and specifications without notice.